Total Pageviews

Total Pageviews

Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Animal-Assisted Therapy (AAT)

Animal-Assisted Therapy (AAT) is an excellent way to improve the life of those who suffer from various conditions or disorders such as: autism, cancer, developmental, psychiatric, emotion and behavior disorders as well as chronic pain.  A few benefits offered through Animal-Assisted Therapy (AAT) include better  or improved motor or social skills, balance etc. (These are also goals for the patients) because in the eyes of the patient, the animals offer a non-judgmental and non-threatening environment, which is why the patient will have a tendency to open up and trust the animals as opposed to another person whether it be family or nurse or doctor.
 Hippo-therapy is the use of horses in therapeutic programs. I used to volunteer at a therapeutic riding facility, and you would usually see the students before they got on the horse, throwing temper tantrums or unwilling to listen, others are totally stiff and barely able to move (most often because they are restricted to a wheel chair) and can barely get on the horse without assistance.  However, once they were on, the became a completely different person, more independent, listening to what you were asking of them, participating in activities such as games or exercises to get them moving and more flexible.  I remember this one girl who would need a walker before her ride, yet when she got off, she was able to walk pretty much on her own or with someone just barely holding her hand.  
Hippo-therapy is only one among many different forms of AAT but is one of my favorites, perhaps because it involves horses and horses are a favorite of mine because of their power, (they could easily hurt us, but they choose not to) and their willingness to help.  AAT is often seen in hospitals or nursing homes with a quiet pet such as a dog, or perhaps even a cat, yet there are many more animals who are not as recognized (dolphins, alpacas) who play a big role in Animal-Assisted Therapy. Animals don't need to be certified to offer therapy or help, and many people don't know it, but their own animals contribute to their everyday health (and possibly their sanity as well).  What I mean is, who hasn't, in a time of need turned to their pet, because they will listen no matter what?  I have, that's for sure, and I usually feel much better after being around my dog and cats or visiting the barn. 
Information about the animals used as well as which conditions AAT helps to treat can be found on the following website. (http://www.crchealth.com/types-of-therapy/what-is-animal-assisted-therapy/

12 comments:

  1. I had no idea Hippo-therapy meant horses, that's pretty cool. Pretty weird name, but still cool. And I couldn't agree more that animals help with sanity. Animals are great for simply giving tasks to people, giving us responsibility and what not and for caring for something other then ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I know Hippo-therapy is a strange name, I mean who would've thought it meant therapy with horses, but mostly it is referred to as Equine (meaning horse) Assisted Therapy, which makes much more sense. Yes, I agree with you when it comes to responsibility and caring for our pets, and what really strikes me is how many of us don't know how much of an impact animals have on our overall health.

      Delete
  2. I completely agree with you that animals are non-judgemental but that basically because they cannot talk. Also, the video you chose to incorporate was very interesting and informative. I did not know anything about Hippo-therapy. That is amazing how an animal can change someones life for example the horse (frosty) helping Melanie walk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It may be because they can't talk, but despite that, they will pretty much let you do anything with them, whether it be throw a ball 2 feet or 5 meters (in the case of a dog), they don't care. Thank you, it is quite amazing that an animal can change someones life so much, and in the case of the horse, it is because the horses movements when it walks matches the way our hips move when we walk. I know, a little strange but also very true.

      Delete
  3. I won't lie; when I read hippotherapy, I thought that hippos were actually used to help in therapy. That's completely insane, because hippos kill people and it would be counter-productive and dangerous.
    This is really interesting, though! I know of dogs and cats being used in therapy, but I never thought horses would be used as well!
    The idea of AAT is definitely a cool one. The idea that an animal can help where a human therapist might not be able to is fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yeah hippos wouldn't be the best therapy animal, that's for sure, and yes it is quite amazing that horses are capable of being therapeutic animals. Because of their size and the manners of certain horses that I have known, you'd think it'd be more difficult to find horses for the program, but most of them that I have seen in the therapeutic programs are quiet and well-mannered and despite the few kids that unknowingly/accidentally yank on their mouths/faces, they (the horses) seem to enjoy their job.

      Delete
  4. Never underestimate the power of animals! I think that any kind of therapy (like AAT as you mentioned, or even music therapy) that isn't related to medication or medical procedures is the best type of healing process. These natural therapies solely involve the connection of the human spirit to something that an individual loves (i.e. music, animals). I think that AAT is much more powerful than regular therapy in the sense that the relationship between the patient and the animal is the anchor to recovery, rather than something artificial. I really enjoyed the video that you incorporated to your post because I found that it reinforced the point that you were making. I also think it's cool and inspiring that you volunteered at a therapeutic riding facility!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! I never really considered the therapy process as you mentioned it to be the connection of the human spirit to what someone may love, nor had I thought of the relationship between the patient and the animal the anchor to recovery. Yes, volunteering at the therapeutic riding facility was very interesting, although I no longer volunteer there and I miss it greatly.

      Delete
  5. Chantelle, I really enjoyed your blog! My dad works as a service k-9 handler, therefore I've always had an interest in service and therapeutic animals. I've heard about horses being used in a therapeutic way before, but since watching the video you've provided my understanding of it all has become greater. Its truly fascinating to know that it heals medically and even spiritually by chaining their attitudes. I look forward to hearing your opinions other forms of services and therapies performed by animals.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chantelle, I learned a few things while reading your blog. At first sight of the word hippo-therapy, I did not associate horses with it at all, but hey, they do say that we learn something new everyday! I do agree with you that animals can be a type of therapy on their own. I look forward to learning many more new things from your future blog posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they do say we learn something new every day! Myself included, when I first became involved with horses and the therapeutic program, I had no idea it was called Hippo-therapy, and when I first heard the name, I was quite astonished it meant Equine Therapy. Who says we need all these people to help with therapies, because I find animals usually do a much better job. ;)

      Delete
  7. I can tell that you are very knowledgeable and passionate about your subject by the way that you have presented it. Your anecdotes from the therapeutic riding facility are lovely. The benefits of having a furry companion, big or small, have been proven innumerable times and I guarantee the vast majority of people have experienced it for themselves. The unconditional love that animals provide is marvelously heart-warming!

    ReplyDelete